I left law school and today I am doing what I wanted, just in a different way. Instead of in the courtroom, I am advocating for children in the classroom.
– Martina, Special Education Teacher
Above all else, alternative certification programs produce teachers with exceptional knowledge in key subject areas, and first-rate teaching skills. But beyond that, it provides tangible benefits to both the district and the candidate.
Benefits to the District:
- High retention – more than 70% of teachers are still on the job after five years
- Attracts more males and ethnically diverse teachers
- Meets the need for teachers of all grade levels both in urban communities, as well as California’s more rural school districts.
- Produces in-demand math, science and special education teachers
- Nimble – highly-qualified teachers can seamlessly enter classrooms where they are needed most
- Participants are committed to serving in traditionally hard-to-staff schools
Benefits to the Candidate:
- Can enter the classroom quickly
- Employment meets student teaching requirement
- Provides an opportunity to contribute in a significant way to underserved communities
- On-site support – mentored throughout by veteran teacher